Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"Can I See in Your Tummy?"

I have a few other friends that are also expecting and we're always saying how crazy it is that something so tiny has so much control.  This little peanut controls what I eat, how much I do around the house (read: very little), how I feel, how many times I cry during a day and has hours of conversation revolving around it.  In addition, it peaks Drew's interest like nothing else I've ever seen...which in turn leads to a whole host of questions, comments and concerns.

He's extremely interested in seeing pictures of babies in utero so we sit down at least once a week and look up on the computer what is happening each week and what the baby might look like.  (As a side note, this kid may have a future in the medical field...I've known adults with multiple children who couldn't read an ultrasound as well as this kid can!)  It occurred to me recently though that in attempting to help answer his questions, I might have caused some confusion.  Especially when he lifted my shirt and wanted to know, "Mommy? Where is your picture of the baby on your tummy like those mommies on the computer?"

He's also worried about how Lady Grey will respond to the new baby.  I told him that it would be ok and I would be keeping an extra close eye on her.  His response was, "NO! I am in charge of this sort of thing and I'm not gonna have THAT CAT do anything to my baby.  I'm not having it and I will handle it!"  Now it looks like I'll be keeping an extra close eye on the cat and Drew!

Recently we checked out "The Birds, The Bees and The Bernstein Bears" from the library.  It's about the arrival of a new baby bear in the family.  Drew loved the book, practically memorized it and can even quote parts of it.  Clearly, he understood the point of it.  I know this because he walked into preschool the other day, checked to be sure that almost everyone was there and then said loudly, "Excuse me, everyone!  My mom's lap is disappearing.  She is going to get bigger and bigger 'cause the baby is growing.  Eventually she won't even have a lap anymore but when the baby comes then she'll have her lap back...so don't worry!"  His teacher informed me that she is pretty sure he's on a mission to inform the entire county.  Nice...

Another idea that he picked up from that book is that he won't be going to see the baby being born.  We were laying in bed the other day and he rolled over, looked at me and said, "Mom, I'm not going to the hospital when the baby comes out.  I'll need to get a babysitter...I'll just call Hannah."  Good to know that he plans on taking care of that for me.

Overall, he is pretty awesome about this whole time in our lives.  He's wanted a baby for so long that he's willing to deal with almost anything to get one.  He understands that mommy is tired, nauseous, gets headaches and can't be jumped on anymore.  He even goes so far as to remind me sometimes.  I've been dealing with some morning sickness (and while he appreciates me keeping it in the bathroom, "Mom, please don't throw up on my stairs...that would just be rude!") he also know why it happens.  The other day he saw that I was feeling sick and asked me if I was nauseous.  I told him that I was and he calmly answered, "It's ok Momma.  It's just because the baby is growing big and strong."

He takes such good care of his Momma, I'm so excited to see him finally get to be a big brother!

Oh, one more thing.  I wanted to give an honorable mention to one of Drew's friends, Patrick.  Patrick is going to be a big brother soon too but since he is a little bit younger, his understanding of the whole thing is a little different.  His mom told him that she has a baby in her tummy.  His response? "Well get it out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment